The Horrible Side Affects of Letting Your PPC Campaigns Atrophy
One of the biggest mistakes that you can make with your Google Adwords Pay-per-click (PPC) campaigns is to continue to run them without regular maintenance. Doing so may horribly decay the ‘reputation‘ of your ads, keywords and landing pages.
The reason is because of Google Adwords’ Quality Score. Google states:
While we continue to refine our Quality Score formulas for Google and the Search Network, the core components remain more or less the same:
- The historical clickthrough rate (CTR) of the keyword and the matched ad on the Google domain; note that CTR on non-Google sites (such as AOL.com) only ever impacts Quality Score on our search partners – not on Google
- Your account history, which is measured by the CTR of all the ads and keywords in your account
- The historical CTR of the display URLs in the ad group
- The quality of your landing page
- The relevance of the keyword to the ads in its ad group
- The relevance of the keyword and the matched ad to the search query
- Your account’s performance in the geographical region where the ad will be shown
- Other relevance factors
The list above is pretty clear. The history of your campaigns is a factor in determining Quality Score, which in turn affects the position of your PPC ads amongst your competitors and ultimately the cost per click.
Fail to maintain your Quality Score you will pay more for your clicks than you should – and your ad position will suffer.
Your PPC consultant should be on top of this on a daily basis. By continually working to improve Quality Score, and by staying up-to-date with the latest search trends, your PPC campaigns should continue to build a positive history in the eyes of Google Adwords.
Need PPC Management help?
No problem, contact Convertology and we can discuss how to put the polish back on your Adwords account!